Working Exclusively With Providers of Water, Wastewater & Liquid Process Equipment/Systems Since the 20th Century.
Before you succumb to a tempting counteroffer, consider these universal truths:
- Any situation in which an employee is forced to get an outside offer before the present employer will suggest a raise, promotion, or better working conditions, is suspect.
- No matter what the company says when making its counteroffer, you will always be considered a fidelity risk. Having once demonstrated your lack of loyalty (for whatever reason), you will lose your status as a “team player” and your place in the inner circle.
- Counteroffers are usually nothing more than stall devices to give your employer time to replace you. Your reasons for wanting to leave still exist. Conditions are just made a bit more tolerable in the short term because of a raise, promotion or promises to keep you.
- Counteroffers are only made in response to a threat to quit. Will you have to solicit an offer and threaten to quit very time you deserve better working conditions?
- Decent and well-managed companies don’t make counteroffers . . . EVER! Their policies are fair and equitable. They will not be subjected to “counteroffer coercion” or what they perceive as blackmail.
If the urge to accept a counteroffer hits you, keep on cleaning out your desk as you count your blessings